ABOUT THE BOX N BURN ACADEMY
Box N Burn Academy is a Boxing Fitness Certification Course designed to educate fitness professionals, boxing coaches, and boxing & fitness enthusiasts in the field of boxing for fitness, and to help them understand and acquire the knowledge behind boxing as functional fitness training.
We combine the principles of professional boxing training and functional fitness training to form a unique training regime.
The course will provide the necessary knowledge, understanding, skills, and hands-on training to structure safe and effective Box N Burn boxing for fitness training classes and sessions with your own clients in a private or group settings.
The Box ‘N Burn Academy is a full day, hands-on training program and online certification course. Live, hands-on courses can be held at your facility anywhere in the world. Click link to learn more about hosting an Academy course at your facility
We understand that not everyone can make the trip to a hands-on course to learn from our amazing team. With so many people reaching out to us about the desire to take part in the Academy, we have now made both Level 1 & Level 2 courses available for you online. Click link for more information about taking the courses online.
MEET OUR TEAM
GLENN HOLMESBox N Burn Academy Co-Founder & Co-Owner
One of USA’s most successful personal trainers with an extensive list of high- profile clientele. He is the fitness director at Box ‘N Burn & the co-creator of the Academy certification. Glenn revels in sharing his passion, knowledge & effective strategies on to how to build powerful relationships, retain clientele and succeed in a highly competitive industry.
TONY JEFFRIESBox N Burn Academy Co-Founder & Co-Owner
Bronze medalist in the 2008 Olympic Games for Great Britain, 106 fights in his career, winning x7 national titles and a European gold medal.
Since retiring the former undefeated professional boxer Tony is Co-Owner for California's #1 gym Box N Burn and has taught 10s of thousands of people how to box and how to teach boxing using the BNB method. Tony is well known for being a boxing fitness expert instructor
KERRIE CHRISTYBox N Burn Academy online course instructor
Kerrie has been leading Box N Burn group classes since 2015, she is currently the hiring manager and head of trainer development at Box N Burn HQ in Los Angeles. She works hands-on with all Box N Burn coaches to deliver the best coaching in the best boxing fitness classes in the world. Kerrie’s passion for boxing, coaching and her infectious personality has lead her to a stacked roster of clientele, and she thrives on helping take everyone she works with to the next level, including all Box N Burn Academy students she works with online, helping guide their knowledge, technique, coaching skills and fitness career to the next level.
Learn from the best boxing fitness trainers in the world from California’s #1 gym Box ‘N Burn, including 2008 Olympic Bronze Medalist boxer Tony Jeffries.
Certification includes the listed Approved Continuing Education Units (CEUs):
NASM CEUs - 0.7 | ACE CEUs - 0.8
AFAA CEUs - 0.7 | ISSA UNITS - 8
AUSTRALIAN FITNESS CECs - 12
PTA GLOBAL CECs - 7
REPS UK POINTS - 10
The History of Box ‘N Burn:
Box ‘N Burn was created and founded in Santa Monica, CA in late 2012 by Tony Jeffries and Kevan Watson. Kevan had taken over as a manager of a boxing program at a local gym in late 2011 with hopes of building a successful and effective boxing and fitness program. After Tony officially retired an undefeated professional boxer in 2012 due to injury, he applied for a boxing trainer position at the boxing gym Kevan had been managing. The two instantly meshed and together they made a previously generic boxing program wildly successful in the matter of a few months. They knew almost immediately after their early success that they wanted to have their own program and left this gym soon after. Kevan and Tony took their innovative boxing and fitness boot camp style classes to the bluffs of downtown Santa Monica, CA, just down from the world famous Santa Monica Pier. Shortly after the two coined the name ‘Box ‘N Burn’; little did they know this name would be recognized as the #1 gym in California a few short years later. In the park they worked for donations only, and quickly gained a large following. At this time Kevan and Tony needed help to manage the large classes and brought Glenn Holmes and Stephen Cain on board. The team worked tirelessly, conducting BNB sessions morning and night, while roaming the streets of Los Angeles by day, looking for a commercial space to give Box ‘N Burn an official home.
In October of 2012, the two walked into a warehouse which was a temporary Halloween store located at 1654 Lincoln Blvd, and would be available for lease beginning in November. November 15th, 2012, Tony and Kevan signed their first commercial lease and finally had a home for Box ‘N Burn. They began working on the space that very evening, and held the very first class at the now world famous Box ‘N Burn Boxing & Fitness Gym, on Friday, November 16th, 2012.
Box ‘N Burn quickly became the hottest boxing and fitness class in all of LA. The Santa Monica gym rapidly filled to capacity and after just 18 months of being in operation, a second location was opened in Brentwood, Los Angeles, CA in July of 2015. Box ‘N Burn Brentwood has mirrored the same success as Box ‘N Burn Santa Monica, and the duo aims to expand even more in the near future.
Box ‘N Burn Santa Monica and Brentwood are California’s premiere boxing and fitness facilities; they’re the fitness home for many high profile athletes and fighters, musicians, and Hollywood elite; it’s been featured in multiple TV shows, films, music videos, commercials, web series, podcasts, newspapers, magazines, and blogs. In 2015 Men’s Fitness and Yelp ranked Box ‘N Burn as California’s #1 Gym, and #5 nationally. In 2016 BNB received recognition and sponsorship from Everlast Worldwide, the leading boxing brand and manufacturer in the world.
What is the Box ‘N Burn Academy?
In 2015, The Box ‘N Burn Academy was created and designed as an extension of Box ‘N Burn’s established brand and trademarked training style. The academy was developed for personal trainers and fitness professionals, boxing coaches and trainers, as well as boxing and fitness enthusiasts. The academy is aimed to not only break down and teach the very basic fundamentals of boxing for the attendees, but to equip the attendees with the tools and knowledge necessary to teach someone else how to box in the fitness capacity, safely and correctly. We will show you how to combine those authentic hands-on boxing techniques in a functional approach to deliver a rare and highly effective formula for boxing and fitness training.
Box ‘N Burn Training Philosophy
Box ‘N Burn has brought boxing fitness to the forefront of the fitness industry world wide by offering a unique and unparalleled training style and environment. First and foremost, boxing is addictive, rewarding, stress relieving, and most importantly FUN! The BNB formula for fitness training is not only appealing to a wide range of individuals for these reasons, but it’s also highly effective in achieving a variety of fitness and health goals no matter where any one individual may be on their fitness journey. We’ve had tremendous success with individuals from all walks of life including professional fighters and athletes, amateur athletes, adults, kids, troubled adolescents, geriatrics, physically disabled, obese, and mentally ill, just to name a few. Our boxing methods are derived from proven Olympian and professional level boxing principles and techniques. Our functional fitness and strength training regimen is a mixture of movements and exercises that are not only progressive and comprehensive, but systematically complementary to the boxing training. Meshing these methods and ideologies together has truly re-defined the meaning of ‘cross-training’.
Benefits of The Box ‘N Burn Method at a Glance:
- Weight and fat loss
- Muscle toning for the legs, core, arms, shoulders & back
- Increase overall strength, core strength, power, endurance, agility, balance, coordination, reflexes & speed
- Enhanced endurance, aerobic and anaerobic capacity
- Self defense
- Improved sleep
- Increased confidence, self-esteem and sense of well being
- Stress, anxiety and tension relief
- Enhanced cerebral focus, concentration and discipline
The Fundamental Components of the Box ‘N Burn Method:
- Above all else, boxing offers a genuinely fun and addictive experience. The endorphin release and high obtained from boxing is unmatched by any other dynamic fitness activity on the market today.
- Furthermore, the fun never fades out, unlike most fitness trends, as you’re learning the “sweet science”, and a skill that boosts your confidence like none other. You will undoubtedly and shamelessly find yourself shadow boxing in the shower, at work, and even on the dance floor!
- High-intensity interval training is a popular fitness trend that has been proven to be one of the most effective training techniques to date. A typical boxing workout at a high-intensity, with regular rest periods, gives an efficient HIIT workout, shredding hundreds, and up to 1000+ calories, in just 45-60 minutes.
- A consequential effect of the B’NB HIIT style training is something known as EPOC, or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption.
- EPOC refers to the additional oxygen consumption needed to restore your body back to homeostasis.
- Ultimately, EPOC promotes the burning of more calories even after you’ve finished training, enhancing the results of the training.
Aerobic vs Anaerobic
- Traditional exercise such as jogging, swimming, biking, at one intensity, delivers a level of aerobic training and a steady-state of oxygen consumption
- Boxing, which generates varying but explosive and intense outputs of energy and force, results in anaerobic training, thus increasing the bodies demand for oxygen, and exponentially boosting the EPOC effect. Therefore, yielding better and faster results than other traditional fitness training.
- The versatility of boxing training is truly remarkable. What’s special about the “sweet science” is there is always more to learn! Whether you’re a beginner, or a seasoned professional, there are infinite ways to continually progress and challenge yourself both physically and mentally.
- Whether its building more technical combinations, pushing the intensity, or extending the rounds to be longer, there are limitless ways to prevent plateauing.
- Beyond the boundless challenges and progressions boxing offers, its also versatile in the sense that you can do it anywhere with little to no equipment! Shadow boxing can be done with no equipment and in a small space. Mitts and bag work can be done with minimal equipment and space.
- Aside from boxing being immensely effective for the shoulders, biceps, triceps and deltoids, boxing is truly a total body workout. There are few, if any, forms of exercise that are as comprehensive as boxing.
- You’ll feel the burn through the calves; quads; hamstrings; the entire core from the butt up through the stomach and transverse abdominals; the arms; shoulders and back!
- Every BNB session will incorporate various functional training movements which compliment the boxing and target the major muscle groups, particularly the core, for a perfect balance.
- Strengthening your full body and core is advantageous to every day functionalities of life both physically and mentally.
- As with any training, safety is IMPERATIVE. When it comes to teaching boxing, you’re generally working with beginners therefore communication and proper instruction and progression is critical.
- The BNB method breaks down the mechanics and techniques of boxing in such a way that anyone can understand it and teach it.
- By teaching in a way that is easy to understand and follow, we are minimizing the risk of injury, therefore increasing the the likelihood of obtaining fitness goals more quickly and efficiently.
CHECKOUT OUR BLOG FOR FITNESS, BOXING & BUSINESS TIPS
SANTA MONICA LOCATION
1654 Lincoln Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Tel: (310) 392-2651
11980 San Vicente Blvd, #106
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Tel: 9424) 832 3036
If you have any questions about our courses and certifications please drop us a line.